Brave New World
I have bipolar disorder. I have seen where some on Blogger use their personal blogs as an outlet for the anger, frustration, ennui, learning and grace that comes as a part of living with a disease that colors all input from the world, and every thought we think. My docs have of course suggested to me that I journal, as this is supposed to be a relative gauge of our own reactions to day-to-day living, and therefore, I am choosing Blogger as my journal. In the process, I hope to be able to share some of the things that I have learned, and make this something of a forum for others to talk and share as well.
I have lived with this, as far as I can tell, for almost a decade now. It's not all been difficult, but it's always been a trial. I'd like to share my history to give my background:
For reasons I shall not go into, I suffered a particularly difficult time my sophomore year of college. I left that college at the end of that academic term, having displaced my anger and paranoia on the location, the people I knew, etc. and somehow figured that by leaving this *place* behind, I could leave those feelings behind.
Within a year, I had a terrible fear of my new bedroom. I couldn't sleep in there at night, I was actually afraid of the ceiling, or perhaps what was above or within it. I interpreted this as stress. I was working full-time, going to school full-time, and working out regularly. Making good grades and good sales, I was nonetheless pretty bleak as a person. I spent my free time reading and drinking, primarily. I felt trapped, I had an urge to run, but I had nowhere to go to, nor did I understand where these feelings came from.
I was sitting in my car before work one morning, when I heard a commercial on the radio for a clinical trial for a new depression medication. As I listened to them list off the symptoms, I thought to myself, Thank God! There's a reason for this! I enrolled in the trial knowing it was the only way I had to put myself into treatment for something like this without my family knowing (I was young enough that I was still on my father's insurance). Thus began a long and inglorious trek into pharmacopeia.
I spent the next few years trying and failing to take my meds, to see the docs as they wanted to see me, and basically and firmly believing that I could handle this. I would get to feeling better, then super better, then godlike, and I'd stop the meds. They made me fat, slow, pimply, sexless, and made me feel sorry for myself. When I felt good, I'd quit and enjoy my life immensely and without worry for a while, only to plummet (seemingly without reason) again. A more thorough investigation of my medical history and such led one inspired doc to reason that perhaps this was more than depression, and declared me bipolar.
The only way I know how to take charge in a situation where I'm very clearly over my head is to learn. To use what's left of my mind. I read what I could find about BP disorder and realized that I agree with my doctor this time, this seemed more like what I had been through.
It took another few years of trial and error, therapy and much hair-pulling to get me to where I am now. Moreover, it took me a long long time to come to terms with the fact that I will likely have to take these meds the rest of my life. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic, and I will always be bipolar.
I am not angry anymore, but I was for a long time. Why did I earn this honor? What contest did I win? Which deity did I piss off, this time?
I have left out the deluge of emotion that each stage of this process carried, and basically made short work of the last ten years of my life above, but I only wanted at this point to introduce myself. While I have come to terms with this for myself, I haven't yet grown comfortable with telling the people around me what it "is" with me from time to time, I tell them I'm ovulating, or that I had a cruddy night's sleep, and hide the fact that there is a demon in my head that wakes up every now and again.
I will write more later, when I feel a little braver.
AA
I have lived with this, as far as I can tell, for almost a decade now. It's not all been difficult, but it's always been a trial. I'd like to share my history to give my background:
For reasons I shall not go into, I suffered a particularly difficult time my sophomore year of college. I left that college at the end of that academic term, having displaced my anger and paranoia on the location, the people I knew, etc. and somehow figured that by leaving this *place* behind, I could leave those feelings behind.
Within a year, I had a terrible fear of my new bedroom. I couldn't sleep in there at night, I was actually afraid of the ceiling, or perhaps what was above or within it. I interpreted this as stress. I was working full-time, going to school full-time, and working out regularly. Making good grades and good sales, I was nonetheless pretty bleak as a person. I spent my free time reading and drinking, primarily. I felt trapped, I had an urge to run, but I had nowhere to go to, nor did I understand where these feelings came from.
I was sitting in my car before work one morning, when I heard a commercial on the radio for a clinical trial for a new depression medication. As I listened to them list off the symptoms, I thought to myself, Thank God! There's a reason for this! I enrolled in the trial knowing it was the only way I had to put myself into treatment for something like this without my family knowing (I was young enough that I was still on my father's insurance). Thus began a long and inglorious trek into pharmacopeia.
I spent the next few years trying and failing to take my meds, to see the docs as they wanted to see me, and basically and firmly believing that I could handle this. I would get to feeling better, then super better, then godlike, and I'd stop the meds. They made me fat, slow, pimply, sexless, and made me feel sorry for myself. When I felt good, I'd quit and enjoy my life immensely and without worry for a while, only to plummet (seemingly without reason) again. A more thorough investigation of my medical history and such led one inspired doc to reason that perhaps this was more than depression, and declared me bipolar.
The only way I know how to take charge in a situation where I'm very clearly over my head is to learn. To use what's left of my mind. I read what I could find about BP disorder and realized that I agree with my doctor this time, this seemed more like what I had been through.
It took another few years of trial and error, therapy and much hair-pulling to get me to where I am now. Moreover, it took me a long long time to come to terms with the fact that I will likely have to take these meds the rest of my life. An alcoholic is always an alcoholic, and I will always be bipolar.
I am not angry anymore, but I was for a long time. Why did I earn this honor? What contest did I win? Which deity did I piss off, this time?
I have left out the deluge of emotion that each stage of this process carried, and basically made short work of the last ten years of my life above, but I only wanted at this point to introduce myself. While I have come to terms with this for myself, I haven't yet grown comfortable with telling the people around me what it "is" with me from time to time, I tell them I'm ovulating, or that I had a cruddy night's sleep, and hide the fact that there is a demon in my head that wakes up every now and again.
I will write more later, when I feel a little braver.
AA


9 Comments:
I am sooo glad you started a blog! I've been following your amazing comments on Spirit's blog, wondering who you are. I look forward to reading more - please post again soon!
Yeah, they really are pretty big on the "journaling" thing aren't they?
Woohoo! I just realized I'm the first commenter on your blog!
And I am the second.
Like Cali, I am wondering who you are. The title of your blog makes me wonder...
Well hi there amazing anon! :)
It's so great you've started this blog, and I can't wait to read what you have to share here. You've already been so helpful to me, and now I think you have the forum to reach many people, and share what you've learned.
I'm excited, genuinely, at what is happening here. I'm actually optimistic, I think. :D
hello cali! this is the first blog i've ever had, so you're my very first commenter *evar*...thank you for your kind words.
nick the second..what happened to nick the first?
Owl...it's sort of because of reading your blog that i started this one. i reiterate: i read so much of me in yours..please feel free to visit anytime, and if you want to contribute anything, you're welcome to.
Hey AA,
I, too, found your comments on Spirit's site. WOW. You JUST started this blog. It's amazing. Amazing that you started it, told your story, and you're willing to share it with others, maybe in hopes that they will see something they didn't see before, and to help others feel less alone. And you're doing the homework that the docs have assigned....that's brilliant. Bravo and keep it up. Congratulations on all that you have endured and survived.
p.s. definitely brave enough...no one said you had to share any of it in the first place. I really commend you.
Awesome post! As I have told Owl, the darlin, we are all here to listen, comment, and try to help you.
I commend you on your willingness to open up this part of your life and share it with us.
WTG and keep it up, it will help you to write it down and get it out of your head (and free up some brain space). lol
YAY!
I haven't yet grown comfortable with telling the people around me what it "is" with me from time to time,
Yes... I am so glad you started this blog.
Mona: I don't feel like a survivor necessarily. The last thing I want is for people to think that I am cultivating some kind of "victim" complex. Nonetheless, I am still here.
Chris: I need white out for my brain! Eeek!
Jayanne, and all: Thank you for reading. Thank you for your kind comments.
I don't think any one individual can save the whole world. I think what we can do is save the places around us, the people near us. I think that this display of compassion for a neurotic stranger proves that you probably live a little more compassionately than most, perhaps with more empathy. Thank you for reading and thank you again for your kindness.
We all have our crosses to bear, and this happens to be mine. I truly feel that the most wasted human emotion is regret, and the only thing I regret is wasted time. Anything I can learn something from is *not* wasted. And I have learned empathy and compassion. God knows.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home