Monday, December 05, 2005

...


despite what a title like "lithium motor lodge" may lead you to believe, it's not always sunshine and song over here in my life. i find i dwell a lot on the topic of pills.

primarily because i'm having another bout of kick-ass insomnia. i've a secret stash of shit i take when nothing else works. i've been busy, but it's good busy, productive, lately, and times like this often keep me up all night. i get sometimes something like 3 hours a night for nights and nights in a row. i've been having it lately, so i'm into the stash. thank you, pills.

i remember the bad old days of lithium. at a max, i was taking 2100mg a day, in seven three hundred meg pills. i tried once taking them all at the same time, and results were unpleasant. yeah, my mood was nice and stabilized, meanwhile i'm dehydrated.

now i'm taking effexor. if i miss a dose, not so bad. if i miss two, i feel it. problem is, i just left one job for another, and while i'll have insurance soon enough, i'll have to pony up for the next two months worth, unless i'm prepared to do without. unlikely.

i remember abilify, at $750 a bottle. i remember taking upwards of 17 pills a day, for months in a row. i remember taking something with a side effect of "may cause deadly rash". every now and again, i'll find something in an old purse or backpack that was a failed pharmacological experiment, wonder what it does, and then throw it in the trash for the neighborhood thugs to play with.

but for now, it's just one a day. one measley little white pill, but still a pony i find i ride. and these that knock me out. blessings from a frustrated RN, tired of hearing me complain.

i don't know where i was going with this. i'm sure there was a point, and it all sounded so much better in my head. maybe i'll write a limerick about pharma. just don't know.

anyway, i'm awake, but not for long.

10 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I take valium, wine or motion sickness pills to help me sleep... but not all together..
i feel like lately i am constantly on pills... upper to keep me going during the day, downers to help me sleep when my heart is racing a million miles a minute...

gah.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

I find that watching Charlie Rose works. And my local PBS affiliate is so helpful; they put him on in the wee hours!

And a limerick about pills... you've challenged me

There once was a gal named Gin
Who couldn't sleep though all in
She took a white pill
It did what pills will
Now she's asleep with a grin

4:29 AM  
Blogger Fella said...

Limericks rule. Sleep rules. I sould go get some. Sleep that is.


SECRET TO CALI: I left you a comment on the previous post.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I find two Xanax (or however you spell it) lends itself to a long winter's nap - though I don't wear a cap or throw up on any sashes.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pharma And Greg? The Pharma Bums? Pharma Lama Ding Dong?

8:40 AM  
Blogger MoMo said...

its the same for me with my SSRI - missing one is okay, but missing two and i notice it. that's the beauty of these drugs (SNRI in your case), from pharma's point of view. they don't need them to be addictive, they've got us hooked anyway. i've been meaning to write a post about anti-depressants and the disconnect between the science and the marketing - maybe i'll actually get round to doing it.
Charlie Rose does seem like an excellent sleep aid with none of the side effects of ambien - if only his guests wouldn't interrupt him.

thanks nick - i got it.

12:52 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

a martini truly sounds most fine
perhaps could replace these pills of mine..
if you'd like to work a trade,
there's a banner i need made..
just give me a call sometime.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Fella said...

Go get a room, you two.

4:57 PM  
Blogger katherine said...

I was recently hospitalized and came out taking meds five (Count 'em-five) times a day. I couldn't go to sleep. When I finally went to sleep, I couldn't get out of bed. I felt drugged and lethargic all day. I quit taking them all at once about 5 weeks ago. I can sleep and get up. I am still depressed, but who isn't?

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diflucan is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Diflucan affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home