Wednesday, February 01, 2006

damn you, red cross!


it's not what it looks like. there was a tiny little accident at the red cross last week and they sort of injected my upper arm with a large amount of saline. told me i would be sore (which i am) and that i would bruise (which i did). i thought i'd gotten off scott-free, but truth is, it took two days for this beauty to develop.

i put a penny on it for perspective.

it's a little redder today, but it still is sore (feels like the day or second day after lifting weights).

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What the hell happened?

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't the red crss supposed to help people, not give them giant bruises?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Celti said...

how in the HELL did they do that? What were they trying to do?

3:40 PM  
Blogger Fella said...

She's covering for me. I got drunk and threw her down the stairs for mixing my Maker's and Coke poorly. On the bright side she only did it the one time.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Maddie said...

Ack! Why did the red cross INJECT you with anything?! I thought they just took stuff away.

8:49 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

platelets and blood, i give 'em both. they draw the blood out, centrifuge it, then give you back your red cells in saline. the needle slipped during a return and i was "infiltrated" (that's what she said, anyway). stung like hell. looks gross. have no idea how long it'll last.

no short sleeves for moi.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Fella said...

For real, yo. Next time you won't get up.

11:07 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

you talk big.

much like how you pass gas.

have at thee, sir!

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks like suicide practice

6:40 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

When Nick passes gas, does a little nougat drop out, too? Because Dr. Mike says he's got a nougaty filling.

7:41 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

i don't know, but when he coughs, a pack of Winston Lights comes out his ears. one at a time.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Kimmee & Krissteen said...

Yeouch!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Sysm said...

I did that the other day, too.

They call it an Alyxx machine here. Five minutes of suck five minutes of return, for about a half hour. I do it because I'm too lazy to get there 6 times a year. This is only three.

Plus, it's one of the weirdest feelings to have the white blood cells go back in. The temperature is lower. It makes your mouth taste metallic. And it feels like your scalp fell asleep. I feel pleasantly off kilter for the rest of the day.

11:15 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

sysm-

myself. they offer tums because the anticoagulant makes your lips "buzzy". i always turn it down because i kind of .. like? the way it feels. eek.

red cross wichita worked out discounts with several retailers in town, for donors with cards, and you get points for every donation you can save up for prezzies. don't tell nick, but i'm trying for the executive putter gift. for him. can you imagine the guilt inherent in recieving a gift literally paid for in blood?

11:20 PM  
Blogger Maddie said...

The last time I gave blood, my blood decided to stop giving about half way through. They ended up "milking" my arm.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Jeez, that's super crazy.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

Hold it up. There. Yeah, there. No.. for fuck's sake yes, there. There. Right there.

Muuuwah.

S'all I got.
XXX.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Dammit!!! I know I commented here!!!

I think we both need a drink.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

your poor arm!!
I tried donating once and they said their needles would kill me.
Curious about you tat!

9:21 PM  
Blogger nikki said...

Ditto... whatchy'all got down there on that porcupine arm of yours? Looks like nice ink.

I still give platelets - possibly just for the buzzy lips - but they don't wanted my tainted, mood-stabilized blood no mo'...

*pokes tongue out*

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home