Finally!
It's not everything, but it's a start..I've been watching these assholes almost all of my adult life. They used to come out to KU and protest during pride week. Some genius-level fund-raising wunderkind turned it into a Jump-Rope-For-Heart style fundraiser; that is, you'd pledge a nickel (say) for every minute the Westboro Death Cult stayed and screamed, and all the money went to charity. The upshot for the fundraisers was that there was now a reason to try and keep them there..to egg them on (not hard to offend monomaniacs).
Nick points out that it'll almost never stand on appeal, but man, I sure am enjoying it right now. Good times. It makes me want to do that little knee-jerk religious spiel that I've perfected in my life on earth, but the truth is, I like the idea of God. It's not so much that it speaks to me personally, only that I see that the farther back you trace people's wisdom traditions and whatnot, the more alike these stories are, or can be, and really it's all interpretation (except for the wierdo literal Rapture Monkeys who really are expecting a seven-headed beast to rise from the ocean)...I feel that faith in and of itself is a good thing. The ability to move outside yourself, to see that there are patterns or meanings or even consequence, it's important. Most folks can probably say this more eloquently than I. Moreover, it's not my point.
My point is that I despise people who use God as a weapon, and what's more, I get angry at the "mainstream" Christians who don't denounce these asshats. We could probably all do more to stand up for ourselves and what we believe in, the principles we stand on. Why don't we hear more major Christian figures in the U.S. discounting this wackaloon? Is it just that yesterday, or do they tacitly agree with him/them? My fear is that if we don't show the zealots that we will stand against them, that they'll propegate (because birth control is pre-abortion, y'know) and increase in rank. We don't need that, that is truly no one's friend.
Anyway, this may be the only discussion of faith or religion I'll ever even get near on this blog, because I feel like a fraud when I discuss it. It's difficult to get a person of faith to talk to you about their belief anymore without them trying to proselytize you, and therefore what I know I learned from Salman Rushdie and CNN (I keed! I keed! No fatwah on gin..)...
Back to the point: whether or not this ruling stands, I hope someone takes these assholes for all they have, and takes their children away from them. I hope their houses burn down, and their hair falls out. You want to dedicate your life to hate? Do it, and then find yourself a nice hole to live in when the tide turns against you. You'd better actually believe in Christian charity, because you may just need it.
Nick points out that it'll almost never stand on appeal, but man, I sure am enjoying it right now. Good times. It makes me want to do that little knee-jerk religious spiel that I've perfected in my life on earth, but the truth is, I like the idea of God. It's not so much that it speaks to me personally, only that I see that the farther back you trace people's wisdom traditions and whatnot, the more alike these stories are, or can be, and really it's all interpretation (except for the wierdo literal Rapture Monkeys who really are expecting a seven-headed beast to rise from the ocean)...I feel that faith in and of itself is a good thing. The ability to move outside yourself, to see that there are patterns or meanings or even consequence, it's important. Most folks can probably say this more eloquently than I. Moreover, it's not my point.
My point is that I despise people who use God as a weapon, and what's more, I get angry at the "mainstream" Christians who don't denounce these asshats. We could probably all do more to stand up for ourselves and what we believe in, the principles we stand on. Why don't we hear more major Christian figures in the U.S. discounting this wackaloon? Is it just that yesterday, or do they tacitly agree with him/them? My fear is that if we don't show the zealots that we will stand against them, that they'll propegate (because birth control is pre-abortion, y'know) and increase in rank. We don't need that, that is truly no one's friend.
Anyway, this may be the only discussion of faith or religion I'll ever even get near on this blog, because I feel like a fraud when I discuss it. It's difficult to get a person of faith to talk to you about their belief anymore without them trying to proselytize you, and therefore what I know I learned from Salman Rushdie and CNN (I keed! I keed! No fatwah on gin..)...
Back to the point: whether or not this ruling stands, I hope someone takes these assholes for all they have, and takes their children away from them. I hope their houses burn down, and their hair falls out. You want to dedicate your life to hate? Do it, and then find yourself a nice hole to live in when the tide turns against you. You'd better actually believe in Christian charity, because you may just need it.


3 Comments:
It's not that mainstream Christians don't denounce these whackos (or that mainstream Muslims don't denounce their whackos, btw) -- it's that it doesn't get reported because it's not titillating or inciting enough. Also, it goes against "character", as if people aren't complex individuals but "roles" in a motion picture.
For instance, when the pope supports clean air and water and attends an environmentalist convention in support, it gets ignored.
If he says something about sex, it gets sensationalized and splashed across the headlines.
It's called divide and conquer, and I believe it's an attempt to control the masses.
If I've learned anything from fundamentalist christian whack-jobs, it's that fags are evil and our soldiers are the ones that have to pay the price.
God is punishing our soldiers because dudes like to fuck each other. It's a fact. Wait, not a fact... that other thing...
You know, lies.
And not the nice kind of lies like "Timmy, Spot went to live with his family in the woods".
It's times like these that I wish there was a heaven and a hell so that those fucks could boil in shit for all eternity.
NEW POST!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home