Sunday, July 10, 2005

sunday night

It's easier for me to tell you when I'm writing than to come up with clever headlines..apologies, but I'm saving myself for an undeniably vigorous turn in academia: I've a paper to write that I have put off to travel, but I blog. That and Farenheit 9/11 is on, and I can't help but watch with my mouth open in shock.

Nonetheless. Bloggery here to be done. I went to my good friend from college's wedding in another state. I guess technically, it's not a wedding since we don't allow two women in love to marry in the U.S. these days, but that's what it was. And it was beautiful, and fun, for a change from most weddings. They always make me a little contemplative, and maybe even a little sad. There was enough of a devil-may-care attitude about this one though which always adds to the fun. We sat on the porch and made up new obscenities for slinging. We went to a brilliant bar. I got to see her brother and his wife again, whom I've not even talked to in perhaps 8 years. There was much beer drinking, and plenty of cats, and even a little Indigo Girls.

This has all been a segue to this thought: I can't believe the people of Kansas sometimes. We had a vote back on April 5th on the "Defense of Marriage" act. Which is a nice way of saying we don't want them filthy homos gettin' hitched. Seventy percent of the state was in favor of this. Before you pass judgment on the entire state based on the actions of only a portion of them, realize that 30% against this was probably a very good showing for the liberals of the Bible Belt. Exactly what are people defending marriage from if the act in question prevents people from getting married? Unless we outlaw it altogether, marriage is not protected. And from what? What dissolves marriages? Divorce. And 70 some percent of Sedgwick county has been divorced, at least once.

Anyway, it still bugs me, and I have to give my old friend props in that she had to fight for who she was against the law, and against her family, and the prejudices of the people at large. Also, I like her little woman a lot. What exactly are these freedoms we're defending in America if we can't grant fair rights to all of our citizens? We put civil rights up to a popular vote.

I have no clever opening or closing for this particular installment. I'm tired, yet I must make for myself a positive GPA that I may escape this place someday.

I love Kansas. We have beautiful sunsets and rises, that characteristic midwest warmth, we have lots of space, and believe it or not, a lot of us engage in thinking from time to time. It's just a terrific bastion of conservativism, and while I appreciate many aspects of (particularly fiscal) conservativism, it's hard to be a liberal here. It's hard to be taken seriously. I am frustrated, and I know that it will take some time for this state to swing even a little from it's far-right hold, but I want to go see what the sun looks like somewhere else.

7 Comments:

Blogger CheyenneWay said...

Liberalism = Moral Anarchy!

Just one of the sweet little graffiti tags I've endured while here at the University of Illinois. I enjoy stepping on it everytime i pass by of course. Kansas from what i've grown to love is quite a nice place although im in the little blue county called Douglas. Dougie (as i like to call it) embraced me not only for what i believe in but allows me the freedom to express those thoughts and excercise my brain when the occasion calls for it.

College towns are the coolest and through my travels have not found any difference between the bunches. Sure it has its staunch supporters of frat behavior but for the most part these people will only go on to be our presidents and politicians. Researchers continue our nerdy plight to imbue those without knowledge the sanctity of creating a better understanding of issues that greatly effect the populus while ensuring the status quo of ones who scream "NERD" from across the campus. But i digress.

Back on topic it seems to me that much of this marriage between gays is fiasco that was perpetuated by fundie backed media. Now before you start making me that tin-foil hat when i say media i actually mean relegious institutions and when you start bringing up moral issues in government it tends to bring out all the grandmas and their ideals to the voting polls. Now ask any of these grandmas if they have ever known a "gay" then not only an appauld look of ignorance of discomfort will overtake their face but also a bit of confusion as they search their clouded minds to find that usually they do not.

I can only hope that the recent civil rights movemnts of the last century into this century will keep moving foward. Someday, before the big bomb, we should be allowed the opportunity to live in an absolute free and just nation. Now give me that hat!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

I can't believe how divisive even the liberal/conservative thing has become. Opinion is a continuum, it is not black and white, but these entrenched camps draw more and more angry and bitter, the opposing parties adopting more separate and extreme positions that basically become encampments while people stop listening to each other - even to each other within the camps.

But yay for your friend's wedding! I really wish them well. I so hope that in their hearts even the most staunch but still sane conservative would agree that love is good for the world.

Oh I don't know. Bible bashing Kansas conservatives. Blogger 'em. ;)

6:39 AM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

you know, college towns are more liberal in general, but they're also super hotspots for the Young Republicans (which at times I have been known to compare to Hitler's Youth)..at least where I've been to school.

had a very clever friend once who is a raging lib, like myself, but was good friends with a conservative chap on his campus..conservative buddy was starting up a young republicans group on campus and chris (the lib) somehow convinced him to call it Campus Coalition of Conservative Persons, or CCCP for short. high-larious.

I wish there weren't such a gulf between us and Them..perhaps Cheyenne has the right idea with placing the hope in the nerds. scholars, that is. i want people who studied constitutional law and public policy making laws, not theologians. you wouldn't want a doc who studied art, now would you?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

I almost feel like political parties have been marketed and packaged in such a way that people find it easier to not think for themselves but simply become "brand-loyal."

Instead of honest debate and discussion, we have hysterical screaming sessions. But I have hope; throughout history, whenever the pendulum has swung too far in one direction, it usually swings back.

11:48 AM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

that is precisely what i keep telling myself..this will change, it has to, etc. with regard to mudslinging, do you ever watch fox (faux) news? they're far more interested in who started what in in congressional skirmishes than in reporting what it actually means to people.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

Exactly exactly exactly. Oh why aren't we running the show? It's time to give the loonies a chance!!!

7:34 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

i can just imagine the ticket here in the US: Zany and All-Pilled Up for Pres this fall! The Idiots had their chance, let those of us residing outside of your reality have a whack at it!

All Aboard the Paranoia Express!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home