Monday, July 11, 2005

The Quote Below

I felt inclined to steal the quote from Ms. Jamison below, because I've been talking to a friend of mine who's got a friend who is bipolar as well, and struggling with the drug issue. I know that there are some of you who read this who might have a little insight into why it's difficult to take the pills, to relegate yourself to that lifestyle.

I'm looking for some input from the public at large. What we need here are some resources for the people who have to live with us, that is...I did my research on how to live with myself. I need to know what to provide to the people in my life to give them some understanding. I don't mean touchy-feely hugs-via-words, I mean actual support and forums. A place to communicate.

I've added a link to the Icarus Project out to the right here, please peruse if you find yourself where I am now, where many others have been before. Understanding and communication are key to surviving this, it seems. I didn't like the idea of talking about it, but it seems to work. Reach out and touch somebody, baby.

11 Comments:

Blogger Spirit Of Owl said...

It's too early for me to respond to this properly, because I've been taking the drugs for less than two weeks and I really haven't had time to organise my thoughts about what's happened in that time, let alone consider if I have re-evaluated my original position.

BUT, first signs are positive. They really are. I'm ropy in terms of energy, and I still have anxiety and self-loathing issues, but on the other hand my head appears to have stopped clicking out of gear all the time. I think I feel like I might be able to work things out.

I'll get back more fully, and in relation to your specific question, over the next few days.

(((Amazing Anon))) cos I'll damn well give you a touchy feely hug because I owe you at least that! ;)

7:40 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

i am so very glad for you owl..i know i was a little pushy about the whole "take your drugs" issue. i'm not some kind of big pro-med person either, i wanted nothing more than to get to a point where i wouldn't have to rely on them. but point is, i do not rely on them, i rely on me and take the drugs cause they give me what little sense of balance i need to go on with my life.

it's so hard to come to terms with. i wish i were more eloquent so i could explain what i want to say. i only know what's worked (and continues to work) for me. thanks for checking in, thanks for taking care of yourself. ((owl)) right back at you.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Sniff, sniff. You guys are so nice. At least, to each other. Your brother receives some well-deserved abuse now and again, AA.

I just wish they could develop a drug that wasn't so harsh on your system, Owl. But we've all gotta do what we don't wanna do sometimes.

It beats chemotherapy, or having to inject insulin every day, or other horrors.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I take the pills every day. I just tell myself that I am not the pills and they are not me. They just clear the static caused by a slightly defective antenna.

4:11 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

i like the way you put it JJ. so much so, in fact, i went back and read your blog and i love it! you're quite the wordsmith.

and he's right owl, in time, it'll get to be one more of those things you just do every morning, like jogging, or taking the vitamin, drinking the coffee, et al. my pops is a diabetic with all kinds of blood pressure issues and such, and he takes more pills daily than i probably do in a week. and they're in order that he live a more comfortable life, and that's something that you and i deserve, that anyone deserves.

i don't have to go to the doctor a couple times a week anymore. i like it much better this way.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

So you're saying it's my tinfoil hat disrupting my reception? I never thought of that.

8:20 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

on the contrary! the tinfoil hat is merely a filter. i can sew you one into a very tasteful pop-art pope hat (my new project) if you'd like. just specify head measurement and favorite color.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

I'll have to ask the gnomes who live in my ears. They're the ones who'll have to look at it all day.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you're making them anyway, I'll have a tinfoil pope hat.

12:53 PM  
Blogger CheyenneWay said...

thanks ginny! :D Insight and education from persons that are afflicted with this disease has become a major goal of mine lately. Im still looking out for new stuff everyday and whatever you guys come up with would just increase the volume of information i need. Now I wear a 7 3/4 pop-art pope hat and the squirrel wants a collection bin somwehre on it.

4:34 PM  
Blogger ginonymous said...

i have recently figgered out that i can sew and i *enjoy* it. so my pops, characteristically tasteful, suggests that i make some pope hats for the fam, and the popularity of the pope hat has grown..i decided to make them out of outlandish colors of satin, and lots o bling.

hee hee!

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home