Vonnegut for Judge Judy, SCOTUS
Judge Judy gains in the court of public opinion
Kurt Vonnegut has climbed aboard the Justice Judy bandwagon.
"I'm all for Judge Judy for the Supreme Court," the 82-year-old novelist told me. "I don't want any other judges, just her. She is so fair-minded and so ideally American."
Vonnegut, the author of "Slaughterhouse-Five," "Cat's Cradle" and other best sellers, is joining columnist Richard Cohen - and me - in urging President Bush to consider television jurist Judy Sheindlin to fill one of the vacancies that will be left by the departures of Sandra Day O'Connor and Chief Justice William Rehnquist.
"She represents the authority of the state at its most humane and reasonable," Vonnegut said. "She represents an America that I would like to belong to."
Vonnegut told me he "got hooked on 'Judge Judy'" a few years back, when he was in Northampton, Mass., teaching at Smith College and recovering from the effects of smoke inhalation suffered in a house fire.
"She's a swell performer. But that's just fun. And she is very attracive, spiritually. I like the way she deals out justice."
Vonnegut, a self-described "New Deal Democrat," said he has no idea what Sheindlin's ideology is. "I'd like to hear what she'd have to say about abortion and gay marriage," he told me.
But as for skeptics who point out that presiding over a TV small-claims court is worlds away from sitting on the highest court in the land, Vonnegut answered: "There is no difference. She refers to the law again and again. American law is American law."
Lloyd Grove, NY Daily News, July 11, 2005


13 Comments:
She couldn't be worse than Bush's picks.
Oh, and I guess you can't buy an actual Poltergeist clown doll, just a painting. Sorry if I raised your hopes.
Why stop there? Let's round up all the big TV judges and replace the whole bench.
Judy, Joe Brown, that Texas Justice guy, Wopner...
That would be sweet.
i think i prefer using them as congresspersons..is that a word? as they're used to doing what the public wants for ratings, then perhaps they'll listen? eh..
one other thought, can we get the Honorable Harry T. Stone from Night Court? i know he's not a real judge, but still.
I'll vote for Harry T. Stone!
Okay...now it's getting ridiculous, isn't it?
Oh, wait, politics is always ridiculous, never mind.
Did you relly interview Grandpa Kurt? Don't kid me here, he's one of my all time favorite authors.
BTW, yes for Judge Judy. No to the rest.
FYI, Lloyd Grove with with NY Daily News has plagerized your interview with Vonnegut. I'm thinking sue.
Vote for Harry!
/got nothing
This is one grand American tradition that hasn't yet caught on in the UK. Still, UK TV justice. Oh by Thor I dread the day.
I'm all for me being on the SC. Sign my petition. By petition I mean ass. and by sign I mean eat.
GOTO: Owl's Link
I still think a magic 8 ball would give a more logical descenting opnion than Scalia ever has.
Damn that Lloyd! he's always ganking by best stuff.
okay, i didn't interview kurt, but oh my how i wish i could have. i don't know what i'd ask him if i did end up with the opportunity.
i snort in scalia's general direction. if we're looking for someone who represents americans in general, we'll need someone who's like 51% female, with 1.86 kids, with 11k in debt and a median income of something like 56k in income annually. maybe with two and half years of college and a fiendish love for nascar or basketball.
how is that any more ludicrous is that than harry t. stone, i ask you?
ELF SHORTS!
ELF SHORTS!
ELF SHORTS!
and i'm fervently, passionately against eating nick's ass.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home